The aftermath of a wet weekend.
So, it's on to the north west side. Sarah ploughs a lonely furrow but
is rewarded with the first sight of the new wall which turns out to be
very fragile in places.
The end of a days work, a new side and a new corner which enables us to ...
... fix the location of the centre where a small dark circular depression can be seen, the site of a pipe?
Fortunately when it came to exposing the spread of destruction rubble
we were mob handed and the work, if not easy, at least went with a swing.
More 'big pot' fragments were excavated but above the rubble spread so no complete vessels at this stage.
And so to the Hanwell canine, lying (or laid?) on what seems to be a
carefully positioned coping stone and now fully excavated, recorded and
ready for cleaning and expert analysis.
A special treat on Friday, a visit from Bill Cope, yes those Copes, who
came and found time in his busy schedule to wash pots and polish
rubble. Here it is at the end of the day ready for drawing, sigh.
One interesting piece that came up was this fragment of worked stone
with so many faces and angles that it's really hard to figure out what
it was part of.
Final stages of wall/rubble cleaning underway with drawing of all those stones well advanced.
Work was curtailed as we moved into the second week of August partly because of preparations for Fairport's Cropredy Convention then some commercial work for the National Trust at Chastleton and taking us through to the end of the month, a ten day community dig at Chacombe
however, we did squeeze in a couple of days to give a taste of
the Hanwell experience to volunteers from the USA and Australia! Having
made a start on clearing the rubble field we rapidly found ourselves
coming up with four new pots and some quality coping stones.